Friday, April 25, 2008

Our Animal Update

Well, thought I'd bring you all up to speed on our animal situation.

As you all know, we have Granndpa Dog (now named Poppy by Shoey), and Maggie. These are our Golden Retriever and Labrador dogs.

Well a few weeks ago I was watching them out of the kitchen window when the phone rang. It was the Tamworth Dog Pound (TP). the conversation went something like this:

Me: hello
TP: Hello, is that the W* house.
Me: yes it is
TP: I'd like to inform you that I have your dog here.
Me: Are you sure? Because I'm looking at our two dogs right now.
TP: Well, this animal is microchipped and it scanned as belonging to you... A blue cattle dog. Sergeant.
Me: (silence... NOOOOOOO).
Me: Oh, ok, gee... we gave that dog away two years ago.
TP: Well, you have two weeks or he'll be euthanized.
Me: Ok, thanks, I'll talk to my husband and we'll get right back to you.
Me: (off the phone now). YIKES! Oh No.. Oh Dear Oh Dear....
Me: ringing Shoey... oh DEAR!


Suffice to say, we now have three dogs in our backyard. *sigh*.

Then when we got home from the Anzac Ceremony this morning there was a message on our answering machine:

"Hello, I'm wondering if you are missing any goats, as I have two in my yard"....
Oh DEAR....


Me: piddles... run out and see if our goats are still here....

Yep, we still have our two girls.

So I phoned the man who had called and long story short, Piddles and I went and picked up these two goats and brought them home (on the back seat of the car I might add... as you do).

Shoey has been at paintball all morning, so he doesn't know yet..... Hmmmm.

I'm hoping to find a home for them VERY SOON! We don't want goats with horns. I'm glad no-one video'd us getting these darn goats into then out of the car and into the chook pen (where else would you put a couple of ferral goats????).

Phew.. and its only 0930hrs. Coffee please.... hot, black and strong - no sugar.

Then, you guessed it.... the phone rings again.

Its one of my friends (K) who rents a house on an old chicken farm. Due to new regulations, that farm had shut down and the chickens were killed. But K managed to smuggle some out, and she HAD TO GET RID OF THEM....
"I know you'll have some Wendy...."
Well, we did need more chooks... so the kids and I piled in the car again, with a cage this time and headed up the road. I might add that BamBam decided to strip off down to his underwear in the car.... ughhh. However, as I pulled up at K's house I saw one of her boys (her two boys have Autism) and he was naked from the waist down, so I figured another kid in next to nothing is pretty normal...


Catching wet, scared chooks is NOT FUN. But we did it. Don't know how many....looked like at least a dozen.
Got them home,and they are currently becoming accustomed to large spaces instead of small cages.


Did I mention my CAR STINKS...and its still raining!

Anyway, here are our animals.......


Some of of the battery hens. Scrawny aren't they? They are still wet too from the rain.




The chooks and turkeys. Almost time to eat some of those turkeys.



Battery hens... scared.



My pet goose Honour up front. Then Sean is standing up, and Hermione is laying down. Sean is not very friendly. I have scars (physical and emotional) from him attacking me.



Our pet turkey Tom. He won't get friendly with any female turkeys, but will try to with Shoey or Bam Bam... how embarrassing.



The two goats we brought home in the car this morning...



A close up of the kid.



Our pet duck Huey. He was our first duck.




our pet donkey Tamzin.




Our pet goat Helena.


Helena again.



Our other pet goat Bambi.



Bambi again.






My Honour. (or Dishonour as the case may be).



Hmmm, can't figure out how to get Maggie to stop jumping up.



Poppy.



Poppy and Maggie.

Sgt.

3 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger michelle said...

LOL! Too funny.... you'll see the funny side someday. I love you guys! And miss you tons!

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Micah and Beth said...

You could not have picked a better name for your blog!!! It really is a zoo!! I wish I could be there. Maggie is growing so quickly...she's beautiful. We had trouble with Lucas jumping up and we finally found something that works. We turn around and show him our backside when he jumped (or puts his paw on our knee). He doesn't like being ignored and stops immediately. We took Lucas to obedience school, but I actually learned that trick from the "dog whisperer" on Oprah one day. Thinking of you all...Love you too!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Robyn said...

Hey Wendy,
I hope all is going well for you guys. Shelley said they had a great visit with you guys. It was so good to catch up with her in the last couple of days. I'll have to post photos from our visit and of Taronga Zoo later.
And I've discovered another link with you - your cousin Lisa was friends with Paul many moons ago and did a reading at our wedding. It was bizarre to have her comment on my blog to say she'd found it through you :) Such a tiny world we live in...
Sometime when you're up this way you should pop in and see us. Take care,
Robyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home