Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Quick Catch-up

Thought I'd write a quick line or two to let everyone know whats been going on.
Shoey is still training for this Marathon at the end of July. His knee is giving him some grief. I want to him to go see a sports physio, and you know the other day he came out and said "after this marathon I think I should see a sports physio"...sheesh. I said "don't wait until AFTER the marathon", but he reckons there isn't much they'd do between now and then... hello its still 4 weeks away.... boy oh boy. So anyway, he pops pain killers and is taking it easier training. However, if he went and got a professional opinion from someone (doctor, physio, chiro, etc) then maybe he could begin to alleviate the pain. I'm also worried about the hypo's he has and the fact that he keeps lollies in his desk drawer at work for when he has them. He still hasn't had his blood tests to see if he has diabetes or if he is in a pre-diabetic state. Men!

Now, who can I whinge about this time... hmm. Puddles. Actually she has been really good. Our delimma at the moment is which school to sent her to next year for high school. We are leaning towards a local Christian School, but not sure if we can really afford it. If it comes to it, we can, but still not sure. I think it would be good for her. We were going to see them this week, but then realised (Shoey did) that they start school holiday's a week earlier than public schools, so it will have to wait a few weeks.

Hot Cheeks is good too. Aparently he played really well again in his soccer match on Saturday. He is definitely sports orientated, however his school report shows he has excellent academic abilities as well. Although how he ever finishes anything I'll never know. Three hours before school we are saying "hurry up, you only have three hours before you have to go to school" and still after three hours you say "are you dressed?" and he says "not yet". (banging head against wall!!!).
They are both good kids though I think. (I'm biased I know).

We went out and bought them (on credit of course!!!) a laptop each last weekend. Puddles had been staying at a friends house the week before and was introduced to the world of internet chatting...yikes.. I was hoping she would be older before that happened. So we decided to be pro-active and bought the kids the laptops in order to teach them skills we would rather they learn from us than their friends. It was a 'no reason' present, which is something our kids really don't get. And we should do it more often. They are really happy with them. HotCheeks plays an online game called RuneScape. Shoey has sussed it out. Of course its a strategy, wargame like thing so of course its all right in his books!!!!!

And onto BamBam. He's just learning more and more every day. He is amazing. He's signing to us to ask for help when he needs its. Of course he's still classified as 'non verbal' but he can say 'go' and 'down', but only after we say it... oh wait, he says 'go' usually after we show him the 'stop' card in order to stop him from doing something he shouldn't. He stops and then says 'go'.!! Cracks us up. Shoey's Mom sent us a Time magazine today which had an article in it about Autism. I was pleased to read that we have most of the strategies in place with BamBam they they suggest. They didn't mention diet much though and Shoey and I are absolutely convinced that BamBam's diet IS the reason he's learning. He was going nowhere until we started him on it. Now he is signing back to us, we have some communication and he's trying to talk... although that is not really happening, however, just to be able to communicate with him is the biggest hurdle we had, and we are slowly getting there. Today I told him to wait, as were were going to cross the road and he did the waiting sign to me. I was beside myself with happiness. He's never signed the 'waiting' sign before. I know he understands it when I do it to him, but to have him do it, just from me saying 'waiting' was utterly mindblowing. For me anyway. His girlfriend came over today and she is so protective of him. She communicates using her own signs. Its beautiful to see.

Rickie is going well in Newcastle. He's just bought a new car, he's working part time and he's so far sticking to it... He and my Mum and Dad had blood drawn last week to test for Fragile X. We await those results. Can't remember if I mentioned before but HotCheeks and Puddles tests came back negative. Neither of them have Fragile X, nor do they carry it. Mine of course came back as the carrier, which we already knew. They found Tia's blood stored at Westmead in Sydney are are going to test it as well.

Meanwhile the most exciting news is that Shoey's sister is having her second baby tomorrow (well, today - but tomorrow). June 27th her C-section is planned for. Today here, but we have to wait an extra day until its June 27 over there! Our prayers are with you all in North Carolina.

Better go and do some housework. I slept in this morning until 7.30am and didn't get around to it.
Until next time, au revoir.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home