Saturday, January 27, 2007

Buckets! for this?

WARNING!!!! boring gardening topic AND pictures ahead.

you've been warned, just keep going if you don't hate yourself, otherwise, you need help.


Watering this was so easy until Dec 21st 2006 when TRC (tamworth racist council, er I mean regional council) instituted bucket only for outside watering....now it is borderline maddening...but I still like it...call it the desire to see something useful from my efforts, in contrast to my wages for NSW health? uhum...I used to use literal buckets, but Misfit went and bought three plastic watering jugs/cans when supply caught up with demand...and they work betterer...so we use them now...we still have 12 plastic,
galvo and rubber buckets in addition to the watering jugs.
anywho, in the picture to the right are a number of domesticated tomato, Solanaceae lycoopersicon, cherry, big beef, roma (i think); two types of pumpkin, atlantic giant and butternut. the butternut are doing very well, but the giant, ain't, the heat is knocking the fruit around too much.


to the left you may see some nearly dead potato (ie ready to harvest), which is so easy to grow...and cheap, i bought a kilo of starter tubers for $2/kilo, that was about 12 tubers...much too many for
the area I had to use..but oh well...
there are also some button squash, which i never wanted but had a blond moment when i picked up the punnet, the squash punnet was in a box labelled butternut...oh well...there were 4 butternut plants I can only find two, but the leaders zig-zag all over the place and out into the neighbors yard and curl around and through tomato and probably 20feet or more from the original root...I hope they sent down tap roots... oh well, pretty healthy specimens in my limited experience, and we have grabbed three pumpkins (out of 10) off cause they split, gave one to the neighbor and had a bit tonight...ANYWAY...carrying on...

another picture of nearly passed on potato, some button squash and butternut, and the feature plant is kikyu (sp?) grass, which is a special type of grass....uh...cause I can't kill it...until the pumpkin vine dies that is...then I get to use my mattock...muhahahaha!

until then, it mocks me...like Dr Evil kikyu.....

left is near ground level of the central 'path'...featuring the remaining (not so sweet) sugar beets, the romas on the left, cherry left ahead and a nicly producing big beef on right....I actually over did it on them...must have about 6 or 7 big beef plants...more than I, my friends (enemies), co-workers, even
the fruit fly can't lay on all of them! there is one really good cherry type, which is straight through ahead in pic(very funny cause it grow next to a sunflower) so I tied it to the sunflower instead of buying a stake), but the other two cherry tomato plants have so far keep this greenish tint...which led me to believe perhaps they were a yellowish 'heritage' (ha ha) tomato, but...I kept trying them a couple of days in a row... (slow learner? guilty) but that (heritage) isn't the case...semi-ripe (ie green) cherry tomatoes are about as tasty as you might imgine.
this could almost be a game, in the picture to the right, spot the atlantic giant pumpkin vine, the butternut vine, the tomato plants(X3), box elder (tree), sweet potato, capsicum/chili plants. there is actually an 18" butternut pumpkin in there believe it or not...
yeah, the capsicum are the second attempt, the first was overwhelmed by the special kikyu grass...so the capsicum (bell peppers) are just a bit behind the tomatoes.
I'm almost done boring you to death, as a final shot here is the boundry fence, on the right is the garden, and on the right are the escapees, you may not see it but there are 2 or 3 butternut pumpkins growing on neighbors side of fence.

Yes, there are actually more photos but...I'll punish y'all later...maybe I'll show you a time
lapse photo of how giant pumpkins grow...the vine was actually growing about six inches to a foot a day, I had to re route it or it would be escaping the fence as well.
must close,
Via con Dios

2 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger michelle said...

Wow! I did not realize how extensive and varied your garden is!
Watering by bucket is a huge pain. My plants are getting a bit less thatn they used to of that particular commodity!

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, uh, varied, in this case means 'unplanned'. I have since been reading different sources recommend not planting tomato, capsicum, pumpkins, squash in the same area as previous two/three years due to disease and pests....so I better start planning where to plant tomato in next two years until this site is ok again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home